Search This Blog

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why Construct 2?

So I'm in Construct 2 instead of say, Unity to make a game with 3d looking spaceships.  Why Construct 2?   Well even though there is a Visual Studio plugin, I can start developing for practically free and I can use my language of choice which is C# and take advantage of the full featured 3d engine and great indie game dev community around Unity...

I'm sticking with Construct 2 for this one.

Why?

1.  Even if it's better, I don't have time to switch gears.  I messed around with Unity and starting out with it is much more cumbersome.   People making projects that are the scope I'm looking at in Unity are usually teams, with much more net free time to make their games.

I have a test with creative software:   If I can't make a simple something in the first couple of minutes... I don't like it.  I'm not saying I have to master it instantly or make anything substantial, I'm just saying I should be able to make *something* very quickly.   That's why I like Acid Wave, and not Fruity Loops.  In Acid Wave I can see directly what's going on.  With Fruity Loops it seems there's an extra layer between me and the sounds I'm trying to make.  I'm not sure there really is, but for me and the way I think, there is.  For some people it might be the other way around.    It's why I like Paint Shop Pro, and not Adobe Photoshop.  There's just something about it I find less intuitive and instead of making pictures, I end up fighting with the interface to get it to do what I want, which should be obvious.

With Construct 2 it's almost as if everything I want to do has a "do what I want" button.  Whenever I think "I need an option to do this..." That option seems to present itself.  Even though I have to spritify some of my 3d objects (actually I don't if I want to use the ThreeJS based 3d plugin for it) It's a small price to pay for being able to put up new effects, ships and logic in practically no time at all.  

2.  For a 2d game, I don't see how it's better.  OK I can see how bringing the power of C# or C++ to bear on my game would be cool.  I could import an open source neural net for my AI and have the directions an enemy can move as "out" cells and train the s$% out of the critters.  But then if I want to code special things, I can just use Javascript and make my own objects --So in the end what's the difference?  What can I not do in Construct 2 in 2d that I can do with Unity?  That's the real question...

When I do want to do a full 3d game with modern effects... why use Unity instead of licensing Unreal Engine?  The more I read about it and look into it, the more I believe I should skip Unity all together and go straight for the Unreal.   There are tons of books and tutorials out there so what's the point of not using that? I just don't see the down side, and the upside is it's a much better engine in every way and it's industry standard and used by AAA development studios.  Not that "who it's uesd by" means anything much to me.

I hear that argument from Mac users all the time about Final Cut Pro.  Their arguments are comprised of "Bla bla studio uses it..." yet they can't tell me one thing their $1600 program on their $2000 mac can do that my $120 Sony Vegas on my $400 pc can't --besides being able to say it's the same editor used to splice together Napoleon Dynamite.   Which part of Napoleon Dynamite could I not edit with Sony Vegas? I could then take the extra $3,000 and hire Olympic Gold Medalist Jessica Hardey to do a voice over on it.  And that's just off the top of my head.  OK rant over... Back to texturing spaceships.






No comments:

Post a Comment